Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: saiga 762x39 conversion

Default saiga 762x39 conversion

Got ya with the title didn't I?
    well I don't even have the rifle yet...maybe by this weekend. I do have a bunch of parts I have acquired for this build/conversion.
    Bulgarian gas block,gas tube ...Russian hand guard retainer and Front sight base.

I am going to make this post very pic heavy from start to finish. just in case I can convince someone else to do a conversion on their saiga.
    Remember these are real Russian AK's in disguise as sporters...all we have to do is kiss the frog and it will turn into a Russian princess!
    when society falls... LOOKOUT! I will finally be on a level playing field.

You have my attention!

This will be a very cool thread to fallow I'm sure!

well I got her last night...good news is the barrel has the slots already for the hand gaurd retainer..bad news is the GB and FSB are press welded on not pinned like the older ones. no biggie for me ...just another step.

OK well I started the dis-assembly...
    first by drivin g out the pin on the gas block...

then I used a 5/16ths bit to drill the press welds(careful to not drill into the barrel)...

then I pressed off the gas block and Front sight base(pics of the press didn't save) notice that the barrel is already threaded for 14x1LH if I wanted to use a AKM FSB.

well here we go...
    I wanted to remove the barrel...for ease of doing the conversion correctly...some bypass this.
    first I press out the barrel pin, short press pin followed by longer two...

next I use my homemade barrel in reciever tool(made from old barrel) to press out the barrel...note the pennies between the rod and the chamber(this will protect against damaging your barrel...

now that the barrel is out I move on to the reciever...first up is the trigger gaurd. some choose to replace the whole thing(which I may) but I thought I would show you the most common way.
    drill out the rivets and remove the plate, then drill out the spot weld and remove the trigger gaurd.then I cut the tail off the TG and set it in place and mark where to cut with the dremel.
    once it's cut just rivet and have it welded...

next I chose to add the bullet guide so when I am finished this will take standard AK mags.
    there was a little fitting,dremeling, and use of a few jigs, but all came out excellent!...

It's looking good!

how many people you know buy a BN rifle and tear it down to parts...I must be CRAZY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunwolf View Post
    how many people you know buy a BN rifle and tear it down to parts...I must be CRAZY!!!!!
    I thought the same thing when looking at the photos! Then again, not many people have the AK knowledge and build skills that you do.

This is a good thread, keep it coming!