Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Button

Default Bullet Button

***I just posted this thread on 3 other forums (with no replies) not related to NY so I apologize ahead of time for stating the laws you all already know. Thank you

I have searched else where with no success so I bring my question here.

Source of Restrictions (http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm)

Below I have included the New York State laws and restrictions regarding assault weapons - NYS basically just adopted the Assault Weapon Ban by the Clinton administration.

My question is about the actual definition of assault weapon. The first line states that a semiautomatic rifle that has an ABILITY to accept a detachable magazine - Now does this mean if the receiver itself can theoretically receive a magazine that it is has fulfilled its first requirement or does this mean at the time of inspection can it receive. Should I install a Bullet Button in place of Mag Release could this technically disqualify my weapon as an assault rifle altogether and thus allow me collapsing stock, pistol grip, etc etc etc.

An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; (v) a grenade launcher; or (b) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine; or (c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned; (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm; or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (Sc-70); (iv) Colt Ar-15;(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M 10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr Aug; (viii) Intratec TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) Revolving Cylinder Shotguns, such as (or Similar to) the Streetsweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (a) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide-action; (b) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (c) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16); (ii) a semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; (iii) a semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; (iv) a rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specified in appendix A to section 922 of 18 U.S.C. as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993. The mere fact that a weapon is not listed in appendix A shall not be construed to mean that such weapon is an assault weapon; or (v) a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994.

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
    Edit Post

Welcome to the forum. You're not going to hear the answer you want.

Nobody knows, NYS has never mentioned the bullet button in any of their laws and I don't believe it was around during the Federal AWB (it may had been but I just learned of the bullet button a year ago or so.) Nobody has ever been arrested in NY for a bullet button, but then again practically nobody in NY uses them.

Personally, I would never want a bullet button on my gun. A semi automatic rifle without the ability to accept detachable magazines is no fun to me.

You are the first one to reply my friend so the answer I want is the truth ha, regardless of which way it goes. I have several NY legal rifles, it was just today a CA friend of mine revealed a "bullet button" to me and it had opened up a huge realm of possibilities. Even if I could bullet button one of my rifles I could use that one to take to PA and FL. Think of the convenience if you have houses in other states. Build a top of the line rifle, everything you want upper lower stock forward grip etc (lasers and lights are not my cup of tea) than just attack the lock while instate and simply take it off when you get out.

Legally I would believe there to be grounds for a defense as my rifle would no longer (AT THAT PRESENT MOMENT) be able to accept a detachable magazine. It would be like trying to put a square in a circular hole. Would I want to pay the attorneys fees for such a case - most certainly not.

Also I do not advocate this but there is a piece you may fit over the lock to temporarily make it just as functional as any other mag release - should you need to quickly detach the magazine from the rifle for safety reasons only.

That actually is a good thought if you have a rifle you take out of state.

The laws are wrote very vaguely in NY. What does ability mean? Does it mean at that present moment or does it mean that if I take the bullet button off it has the ability to accept detachable magazines.

If you do go ahead and get the bullet button I would just use common sense and don't do anything stupid at the range, or on the way to the range.

Yes I do believe this weapon would remain unused completely until taken out of state actually, I could use others. The bullet button would be more of an experimentation with NYS law, legally build an AR with collapsible stock, pistol grip, etc etc in NY.

My only problem with my own logic is this. The wording says accepts but not about how to detach.

An "assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:.....etc etc

Now before I would lock the magazine in place THUS CREATING A FIXED MAGAZINE - I would have to literally make the gun accept a detachable magazine. I would have to very much put a detachable magazine into the weapon and at that point in time the weapon would fall under the title Assault Rifle. However once the weapon has accepted the magazine it instantaneously becomes a fixed magazine. In court his may be a problem:

Judge: "Son I understand your argument but is this before me a semiautomatic rifle that has accepted a detachable magazine. I can clearly see the detachable magazine is engaged with this weapon, thus it must have ACCEPTED IT."

that is my only concern. However CADOJ has already in many instances declared bullet buttons a legal way to own an AR in the Republic of Kalifornia.

If you took the upper off of the lower while you installed the bullet button you would be good to go, I believe.

I am aware of the whole bullet button loop hole. Using the bullet button, certain rifles should no longer be defined as assault rifles. This loop hole is being used very successfully in Ca. I am in possession of a bullet button. They are being made for most popular AR's now. You will see more of them in the future.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Ignoreing all of what's already been said... as I'm not sure... and can't argue any of those points, I think the rest of the law would keep your weapon an assult weapon.......

".... any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber,...."

Wouldn't that "catch" the reciever no matter whether the bullet button was in place or not?

Oh yeah and welcome to the site.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson.

"Don't start a fight with someone that can end it from another Zipcode!"

I don't think that part of the law applies or else all AR-15s would be illegal in NY.

Yeah kind of misleading isn't it.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson.

"Don't start a fight with someone that can end it from another Zipcode!"