"We have but one rule here, and that is that every man be a gentleman." -- General Robert E. Lee.
We have a very good forum here, and given that this forum exists as a source of information for both longtime firearms enthusiasts and newcomers alike, young and old, men and women, city dwellers and country folk, those in New York state and outside looking in, conservative and liberal and anything in between, and all walks of life, we need to get along here and present a fairly civil environment and decent image for everyone viewing. We want to attract more people to us and present our side of things effectively and fruitfully. And if nothing else for goodness sake we'd better keep things clean and legal for the public and legal image because this site is going to soon be under a BIG magnifying glass by skeptics, naysayers, and even outright enemies. Oh yes, WE WILL HAVE ENEMIES. There are going to be people who don't like the 2nd Amendment, don't like freedom, don't like anything associated with firearms and their owners who will absolutely hate this site and THEY WILL WANT THIS SITE SHUT DOWN AND BANNED.
So we'd better be on our best behavior, got it?
1. No posts suggesting, advocating, instructing, or inciting illegal and unjustifiable acts of violence or misconduct against public officials, religious groups, ethnicities, orientations, etc. etc. Notice the distinction there. Defense against criminals and tyranny as specifically set in historical and legal context, particularly when quoting historical figures such as Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Thomas Paine, Ben Franklin, and the like is perfectly fine PROVIDED SUCH IS KEPT IN CONTEXT of either or both historical narrative or legal and civic duty. We ARE advocates of preservation of freedom against domestic threats of oppression and crime. We ARE ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE FORM OR FASHION advocates of vigilantism, terrorism, militance, and the like. Note the difference and stay within the boundaries. Being a firearms related website this is a rule we must take VERY, VERY SERIOUSLY not only because we have to keep it civil for our sake but for legal reasons.
2. No lewd, obscene, digusting, or blatantly pornographic material or links to it. We've gotta keep it clean here. There are thousands if not millions of websites you can go to for the naughty stuff--this isn't one of them.
3. No suggestions of explicitly 100% illegal activity. There are loads of laws that just plain suck and we're stuck with them. Challenging them is good in some instances and there's a well defined way to do that. Going around them by following the letter of the law to find a work around solution for them is absolutely good and we'll probably come up with a lot of that. Suing to get them struck and/or for damages due to the horrid mess they make is also good. Visiting other states to do what's not legal here but is perfectly legal there is something I highly recommend doing as often as possible. But while in NY follow NY state law to the best of your knowledge and ability.
4. Treat others here with courtesy and respect. No attacking folks, present or at large, based on age, gender, race, location, hight, weigh, whatever. Clean jokes when not explicitly cruel and ill intended (and I'll bend a little bit on that for deserving public figures, maybe, but don't push it) are a different matter. But for the most part, KEEP IT TO DEBATE OF IDEAS AND ACTIONS. There's PLENTY of room to say someone's ideas aren't right and they may have done something stupid, but keep it to that, and be polite to the individual. ABSOLUTELY NO THREATS OF INJURY OR CONTINUOUS AND DELIBERATE PERSONAL ATTACKS VIA POSTS OR PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL. PERIOD.
5. Follow all applicable safety rules and regulations when handling firearms, ammunition, archery gear, and all other similar related items and equipment mentioned and discussed in this forum. YOU AND YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY AT ALL TIMES. There are countless books and state provided literature and information regarding safety as well as state required courses and professionally provided instruction. It is your personal responsibility to find, learn, and adhere to such. NYShooters.net will provide links to and excerpts from such content which are all highly useful, but are in no way a substitute for complete and diligent personal pursuit, awareness, and practice of safety.
I just said safety repeatedly. I'll say it again. Safety safety safety safety safety safety...it's that important!!!!!!!
6. This forum does not provide professional legal advice. Neither the admins or moderators are licensed to practice law in the state of New York and therefore do not provide legal counsel nor is advice given on this forum to be taken as such as defined by law. We can and often do cite legal sources and exerpts of federal, New York state, and local laws as well as legal decisions, administrative opinions, etc. which should and will be for the most part accurate and useful towards expanding one's knowledge of the law, but it is in no way a complete and perfect substitute for reading the law itself on one's own. We may provide links to where one may do so and contact information for legal professionals who are licensed to provide legal advice.
7. No spamming. Sales and promotion of firearms and related accessories and sporting goods (fishing rods, tree stands, etc.) and materials is perfectly OK and highly encouraged, but keep it appropriate to the subject being discussed and/or in the For Sale and professional service (like training) sections. Also KEEP IT LEGAL!!!