Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for Pocket Carry

Ruger LCP .380 is a 9mm..short
    Never Forget 9-11-01 ....343 Brother Firemen Fell Trying To Save Others
    God Bless - Rest In Peace
    Past Chief
    Certified Glock Armorer

For a pocket gun I have had and carried several and I always come back to my snub nosed 38.

I REALLY like my Taurus (light weight framed) that takes 38 & 38+P.

5 rounds of of concealed goodness and another 5 on a stripper clip.

LCP .380 7 rnds and 6 in backup magazine..........very accurate little pistol.....remember this is not a range gun for target shooting, it is made for close up and personal use, my wife has the CT Laser and she is dead on!
    Never Forget 9-11-01 ....343 Brother Firemen Fell Trying To Save Others
    God Bless - Rest In Peace
    Past Chief
    Certified Glock Armorer

Default Ruger LC9

http://ruger.com/products/lc9/models.html

Have you seen the new Ruger LC9? A bit bigger than the LCP.

I think I'm going to go with the Sig P238.

Sig 238 isn't a bad gun, very much like a Colt, has a good feel to it. A little on the heavy side and it is very expensive for a .380, plus they've had a few issue. I would stick w/ the Ruger LCP. Great gun, cheap and backed by a great reputation.

It looks like Colt is releasing their version of the P238. I might wait until this is released.

FST Guest

Hey Rich...not to throw a wrench into the works but...if you knew ahead of time when you were going to be in a gunfight, what gun would you carry? I used to carry a little pea shooter, a KelTec P11 when they first came out. Not that the 9mm is inadequate, but IMO the P11 is. OK so we all know that the shorter the barrel the less accurate the gun is and most gun fights happen at very close distances...but not always.

I have been carrying concealed for 23 years and it took me a long time to figure out a good balance of firepower and comfort that work well for me. I used to carry a small gun for comfort. Then feeling under gunned I started carrying a full size gun uncomfortably because of poor holster choices. What took me a long time to learn is that a full size gun can be carried comfortably with the right holster and clothing combination. I use a IWB, most often a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. With a loose fitting shirt and shorts I can comfortably carry a full size 1911 all day long.
    So before you buy a little gun to increase the comfort factor, I suggest you research how you can carry the big gun more comfortably. What is it that Clint Smith says? Guns are not suppose to be comfortable...but comforting!

John

I carry my G19 everywhere but there are some situations where a G19 or G26 isn't practical to carry. So in a situation like this I would prefer to have the ability to carry a pocket gun vs. not being able to carry at all.

FST Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I carry my G19 everywhere but there are some situations where a G19 or G26 isn't practical to carry. So in a situation like this I would prefer to have the ability to carry a pocket gun vs. not being able to carry at all.
    Like...swimming?:-)