Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egyptian Maadi AK47 Build

Default Egyptian Maadi AK47 Build

I just ordered an Egyptian Maadi AK47 parts kit and will be slowly building this over the Fall season.

Here's a picture of the parts kit as shown on Apex's website.

I'll post some pictures of the actual kit when it arrives next week and I'll continue to update the thread over the build process.

Now to hunt down a barrel.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.

I've considered kit builds for an AK but buying a brand new WASR-10 is just to cheap.

Looking forward to seeing this build.

It's not very cost effective to build your own anymore but it's a project that 1) gives me something to do in my free time and 2) is something I can say I built, especially with having to go with a virgin barrel.

Sounds like you've got the right idea in your head for this build. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Rich, The cold months are not so good for me...but I have tools and will travel to help you anytime! LMK if you get stuck, or need anything.
    remember...
    AKbuilder Rivets only!!!!
    and order a over sized barrel pin also so after tyou headspace you can drill and pin it correctly.
    when society falls... LOOKOUT! I will finally be on a level playing field.

Tim,

I think I have a game plan to get the build done and do it properly I plan on doing this over a month or two so I can purchase all the tools and parts that I need (I want to get most of the AK builder build tools to make the job easier). Once I get the barrel done the rest of the build so be fairly easy, I'm just going to go slow and step by step with the virgin barrel.

Here's the kit as received after I sandblasted the parts to get rid of loose paint, dirt, etc. and after I started to sand down the stock. The handguards are a bit too rough (I think) to be refinished easily so I'm going to switch them out for another set of Egyptian handguards and refinish those when I receive them.

The black areas are just blast media that I didn't blow off.

Just took mine apart and cleaned it for fun today.

What media did you use to blast it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Freek View Post
    Just took mine apart and cleaned it for fun today.

What media did you use to blast it all?
    60-80 grit Black Diamond blast media from Tractor Supply. It's not meant to be a final blast, just did it to get the rust, cosmoline, etc. off the parts so I can work with clean parts when building.

Now I just have to order a barrel and pick up a 20 ton press.

I've spent some of my free time during the past few nights working on refinishing the furniture on the gun. The handguards would had been too much of a project to restore, I'm not sure if they could of been made to look good so I have a new set coming. The stock turned out much better than I expected.

I need to hit it with one more coat of Amber shellac but need to get some 0000 steel wool first, other than that though the stock is basically finished.

Here's what it looked like when I got it.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-05-2010 at 01:05 AM.