Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pistol grip legal?

Default pistol grip legal?

ok i know this is a dumb question but is a pistol grip shot gun legal in NY? the reason i ask is because i bought a 20 ga shot gun online but by mistake i ordered the wrong gun. after taking possession from my FFL i realized my mistake and i am unable to return/exchange it. i am currently trying to sell it but if that doesn't work out i will keep it and put a pistol grip on it, provided that is legal in NY.

On a pump it is legal.

yup, it's a pump gun so that may be what i will do with it if i can't sell it.

FST Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BMW RIDER View Post
    but if that doesn't work out i will keep it and put a pistol grip on it, provided that is legal in NY.
    Just remember if the shotgun has a tang style safety and you put a pistol grip on it, you will have to break your grip to take the safety off.

Just remember if the shotgun has a tang style safety and you put a pistol grip on it, you will have to break your grip to take the safety off.
    i called Mossberg to order the pistol grip today and they didn't say there would be any problems using the safety with the correct pistol grip. i ordered it and hopefully it will work without any issues

FST Guest

Let me know how that works for you.

i removed the original stock and the safety still works so i don't think there will be a problem, but then again I've said that more then once and ended up eating my words.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW RIDER View Post
    i removed the original stock and the safety still works so i don't think there will be a problem, but then again I've said that more then once and ended up eating my words.
    what he meant was, the safety is on top of the gun, unlike other shotguns (where its on the trigger group)

the mossberg in its original full stock form, has its safety actuated by your thumb (usually). on a pistol grip, you will have to move your hand off the grip to manipulate the safety.

vs

what he meant was, the safety is on top of the gun
    sometimes i read too quickly and don't comprehend what is written.i do understand now what your talking about and realize the pistol grip will work but i will have to reposition my hand to work the safety. i hope this is something i can get used to but if not i will go to plan "B" which is put a full size stock on as well as a slug barrel.

FST Guest

I have the Knoxx traditional style recoil reducing stock on my 870. I first tried the Knoxx pistol grip style but was unable to avoid the cheek slap no matter how I positioned the gun. These are well made products and they really do reduce the felt recoil considerably.