Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats a pre-ban AR15 worth?

Default whats a pre-ban AR15 worth?

i was at my FFL today picking up a shotgun i ordered and he mentioned he has a couple of pre-ban Colt AR15's along with some pre-ban 30 round mags. i checked out one of the guns and it is in excellent condition (like all his guns) and i asked him how much he wanted for it. he said he would think about it and let me know. i was wondering whats a good price for a pre ban AR15 in excellent condition? i have seen new ones from Buds Gun Shop (budsgunshop.com) going for around $1000.00 but i have no idea what a pre-ban would go for.

$1,000 is a fair price for pretty much any preban. Just make sure it is actually a preban.

Yeah, 1K is a good price. You also have to think about a lot of things though. Name brand, add ons, condition, type. Lots of things go into factoring what it's worth. If you're talking about a completely BNIB Colt AR15 you could also be looking at as much as $1600.00. People will pay that much for them so they still go that high. For both of my recently purchased I paid 1K and 1,100 and both were great deals from great sellers.
    I personally have set standards on what I'll pay for an individual type of firearm. Setting a goal to find a pre ban for about $1,100.00 give or take 100, depending on what it is, is a good goal IMHO.

thanks for the info guys. i am not sure what he will want but my impression is he will want over $1000 for the gun. i will wait until he calls this week and see what his price is.

EDIT: his asking price is $1200.00
    Last edited by BMW RIDER; 01-30-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Personally, If it was a flat top upper I'd bite. That's still a good fair price if it's what you want. I also see pre ban and prices in general going up again.

I just bought a pre ban colt a2 carbine for $975.... Last week some morons bid up to nearly 1900 on just a lower receiver :rolleyes: .. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212146716

whats a good price on a used post ban? Also id assume they charge less for a ny compliant since its coming without all the extras but at the same time they have to pin the barrel and stock so not sure. Any feedback regarding prices and where to find in rockland, orange or westchester area? Or anywhere for that matter if its too far id just have them ship to ffl. Thanks for any advice

Like buying a car, it's all about what's done to it and what options it has along with condition that dictate approximate value. For a post ban AR you're going to spend anywhere from $600.00 to $4,000.00. If you find one you're interested in post up some pictures and details and I'm sure a lot of the guys around here would have no problem with giving you their opinion on approximate value.

For a base AR15 with no upgrades I wouldn't pay for more than $700-800.

ok thanks that really what i want is the base style m4 with carry handle that is removable in case i wanna add an optic but other than that theres not to much i wanna do to it. it seems the cheapest option is to build your own right?