Thread: Broome County Pistol Permit

Default Broome County Pistol Permit

Cost: ~$120 for restricted, up to $370 for unrestricted

Eligibility Requirements:
    1.) 21 years old
    2.) 3 years residence in the county.
    3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years.
    4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: 5-8 weeks reported, max a few months. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.

Restrictions: Unrestricted possible with safety course.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 1-2 weeks for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

Broome County Concealed Carry Course approved by presiding Judge. The course is a pre-requisite to requesting the CC .This class is approved per vendor-IPI-VERDAD Investigations and Protection, Inc. is an approved vendor.

Must be nice!

Are references asked to affirm their county of residence? I know people who are listed on the Broome County voting rolls but have declared Delaware county for property tax purposes. Does the sheriff ask references to state their county of residence or do they determine county by using the voting lists?

Quote Originally Posted by NY Shooters View Post
    Cost: ~$120 for restricted, up to $370 for unrestricted

Eligibility Requirements:
    1.) 21 years old
    2.) 3 years residence in the county.
    3.) 4 references who have known you for 3 years and who have also lived in the county for 3 years.
    4.) Background check, mental health check, & finger printing

Process Time: 5-8 weeks reported, max a few months. It depends on how fast your references fill out their questionnaire and how long the judge wants to let the permits stack up till he signs them.

Restrictions: Unrestricted possible with safety course.

Purchasing: Purchase ticket system: Buy pistol, seller give you gun info, go to sheriff's office and get info added to your permit for $3, wait 1-2 weeks for purchase ticket in the mail, then go pick up pistol. Your first pistol purchase ticket is pre-signed, meaning you can purchase it the day you get it added to your permit.

I got lucky. I applied after a little over one year of moving to NY. I used quality references. One who lives in Rockland, two who used to live in Rockland. One of them is my co-worker, the other is a friend who works for the local Police motor pool. The final reference was my boss. I wrote a letter to accompany my application and explain the references. I also mentione d my shooting experiences and that I joined the Northern Westchester Rifle Association shooting club.

The wait was 6 months.