Thread: FFL and Class 3 in NY

Question FFL and Class 3 in NY

I was wondering how many if any of you have these. I was told it was a good idea to have one. Like I have said in the past I have been looking into gunsmithing as a hobby and just a little bit of extra money. I am not sure if I would need a FFL but i know if i ordered a part I could have it shipped to me at home instead of driving hours to find a decent FFL person.

The ATF will not grant you a FFL if you aren't a legitimate business. If you are just getting it to have so you can buy stuff for personal use, transfers for friends, etc. they won't approve it. Class III in NY is a whole separate issue. There are only a handful of Class III weapons people can own in NY, everything else has to be sold to out of state buyers or LEO/MIL. The FFL is more of a hassle than it is worth to just do it on a hobby level in my opinion. If you're into C&R guns an 03 FFL might fit the bill a bit better.

Thanks for the tip I was more into C&R stuff.

Oh, you mean a Type 03 FFL, not Class III. Class III is NFA (SBRs, SBS, Full Auto, etc.). Go ahead and get your 03 FFL, you will make your money back on it the first time you purchase something from Brownell's!

Sorry Rich I am unsure, I was told I needed one to work part time as a gunsmith to work on peoples stuff correct? I sure having a class 3 is nice but unless your collection there is no need for it correct? I mean I can't bring a class 3 weapon to a range. sorry for all the questions I just want o make sure of what information I need to look into
    Gary

Look into a Type 01 FFL, this is your basic FFL. The 01 allows you to do gunsmithing work.

thank you sir