Thread: Do NYC gun laws override NYS gun laws?

Default Do NYC gun laws override NYS gun laws?

I've just got into hunting thanks to my father in law and as a member of the younger generation, the infatuation of the "Black Gun" is present. I've been trying to do my homework on finding out what's legal when it comes to AR-15 type rifles and what's legal in NYS and NYC. I live in Queens and when I look at the Rifle/Shotgun application, it lists ALL AK-47 and All AR-15s as illegal, but I've read posts that say depending on modifications, pre-ban, etc AR-15's are legal. Is this specific to just obtaining a rifle/shotgun permit in NYC, but if you live outside of NYC, this ban does not apply? Any help or pointing in the right direction to find the info myself, will be greatly appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by EvinH View Post
    I've just got into hunting thanks to my father in law and as a member of the younger generation, the infatuation of the "Black Gun" is present. I've been trying to do my homework on finding out what's legal when it comes to AR-15 type rifles and what's legal in NYS and NYC. I live in Queens and when I look at the Rifle/Shotgun application, it lists ALL AK-47 and All AR-15s as illegal, but I've read posts that say depending on modifications, pre-ban, etc AR-15's are legal. Is this specific to just obtaining a rifle/shotgun permit in NYC, but if you live outside of NYC, this ban does not apply? Any help or pointing in the right direction to find the info myself, will be greatly appreciate.
    NYC has their own ban on certain firearms, including most semi auto rifles.

Outside of NYC you can own AR and AK style weapons as long as they comply with the NYS assault weapons ban. Basically the AR/AK has to have a fixed stock, no bayonet lugs, and a fixed muzzle brake.

No go in NYC.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Real quick.

You could always get one and keep it outside of city limits.