Thread: Trying to do a Saiga 12 conversion on the cheap

Default Trying to do a Saiga 12 conversion on the cheap

I need to be 922r and NY compliant for my build. I already have a stock but it is an import so it wont count toward 922r. I have done a 7.62 conversion and am not sure how much different it is. I plan to get a US made FCG and a US made hand guard I believe that would make me 922r compliant. but I could be wrong.

As far as the fcg does it need modification? I ordered a pre done fcg for the 762 and ended up having to fit it myself anyway. Is it worth paying extra to have the fcg modified or should I do it myself. Also instead of sheaperds crook I plan to use hitch pins how do you guys feel about them. I am trying to save a few buck and also reuse the trigger guard. any help suggestions thing I am leaving out that I need. Thanks

Also does anyone have a video or pic thread I could use as an aid I did the 762 conversion a while back.

Carolina Shooters Supply has some pretty good conversion videos on their site.

search for saiga forums. They have an S12 section.

Which stock did you decide on?

Saiga shotguns with a threaded barrel have been counted as 14 imported parts.
    A letter has surfaced a few months back that said they are now calling the gas piston
    another part,as well as the gas puck.
    To cover your ass I'd be calling it 15 parts in a stock threaded shotgun.
    Now if you put a T-hole on it,you just added a "form" of a pistol grip. I've been told in the past
    that a T-hole stock counts as 2 parts. So I'd add another part to your list(stock and pistol grip).
    So now your looking at 16 imported parts.
    -3 US FCG
    -1 US handguard
    Your still need to replace 2 parts(in my mind).
    Add a gas puck(less then $10),maybe a US made flash hider(@ $40).
    You could also run just US made mags(counts as 3 parts).
    I run with a gas puck and home made floor plates in my imported magazines.

Stock/grip, gas puck and mags should cover it for you. The tapco trigger will make much better imo