Thread: Question regarding taking handgun out of state

Default Question regarding taking handgun out of state

OK, I am still waiting on my NY permit. In the meantime, would it be legal for me to transport my fathers handgun locked in the carry case to my friends house in VT and not open it until I get there? Would it be illegal since the owner of the gun is not present during the transportation?

Since you're a NY resident... I wouldn't want to get caught with it.

As for the technicallity of the laws, I'm not educated enough of them to say... Someone else will chime in.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson.

"Don't start a fight with someone that can end it from another Zipcode!"

Here is the federal law for interstate transportation of firearms.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Note you must be able to "legally possess the fire arm at the location of departure and final destination. I lived in Vermont for 20 years. Wonderful 2nd Ammendment friendly state. But since you don't have a permit in NY and its not your handgun, I going to suggest you find another way. Have your Dad ship it to VT maybe.

As an aside. I have printed a copy of this section of the code and laminated it on small cards. I have a copy in each box I might carry a firearm in, in case the local PD or Sheriff might not be familiar with the law. Also has my CT and NY permit numbers on it.

I would say it would be illegal. Even though it is locked in a case in your vehicle you are still in possession of it. If you were to get caught with it you would be looking at felony charges, not worth the risk in my opinion.

Completely illegal for many reasons.
    07 SOT FFL
    MTM-MFG.com

Gotcha, thanks guys!