Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: NY SAFE Act Compliant AR

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default NY SAFE Act Compliant AR

    How to make your banned AR "Assault Weapon" into a non-banned semi-automatic rifle that does not need to be registered.

    If you have a 1994 compliant AR it has at most three features that are currently banned. The (1)PISTOL GRIP, (2) FORE GRIP (3) THREADED MUZZLE with compensater or muzzle brake.

    (1) Pistol Grip - Remove pistol grip (careful of detent spring), cut off about 2.75 inches of the grip. Re-install. Don;t want to cut your grip, new one's are 4.99 and up at Brownells.

    (2) Fore grip - remove it.

    (3) Threaded Barrel - Several options
    1. Get a new upper or barrel that does not have threads. (Expensive)
    2. Have a gunsmith remove the threads and re-crown the barrel if needed.
    3. File off the threads yourself.
    4. (Added later) Possibly permanently attach a threaded barrel cap.

    If you want to register your rifle under NY SAFE Act it seems that you would be allowed to add the previously banned adjustable stock, bayonet mount, flash hider or grenade launcher

    UPDATE
    This from NY State http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

    Q: If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?

    A: No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.

    Cut off pistol grip
    PIC_0011.JPG
    Last edited by Tagfu; 01-19-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Update Info
    If laws stopped crime the jails would be empty.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tagfu View Post
    How to make your banned AR "Assault Weapon" into a non-banned semi-automatic rifle that does not need to be registered.

    If you have a 1994 compliant AR it has at most three features that are currently banned. The (1)PISTOL GRIP, (2) FORE GRIP (3) THREADED MUZZLE with compensater or muzzle brake.

    (1) Pistol Grip - Remove pistol grip (careful of detent spring), cut off about 2.75 inches of the grip. Re-install. Don;t want to cut your grip, new one's are 4.99 and up at Brownells.

    (2) Fore grip - remove it.

    (3) Threaded Barrel - Several options
    1. Get a new upper or barrel that does not have threads. (Expensive)
    2. Have a gunsmith remove the threads and re-crown the barrel if needed.
    3. File off the threads yourself.

    If you want to register your rifle under NY SAFE Act it seems that you would be allowed to add the previously banned adjustable stock, bayonet mount, flash hider or grenade launcher
    I can see it now, all the people running around with grenade launchers LOL.

    Anyway this is the way I see it as well, featureless is definitely an option.

    Another is bullet button with 5 round "fixed" mag but that would have to be tested in the courts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ulster County
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Where did you come up with the 2.75" for the pistol grip? Are we sure that will suffice? The only thing that makes my AR an "assault rifle" right now is the pistol grip.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Springwater
    Posts
    7,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glenmar3 View Post
    Where did you come up with the 2.75" for the pistol grip? Are we sure that will suffice? The only thing that makes my AR an "assault rifle" right now is the pistol grip.
    This is my feeling. Until NYS provides a clear definition of a pistol grip I wouldn't put anything on my AR lower where the pistol grip is suppose to attach.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glenmar3 View Post
    Where did you come up with the 2.75" for the pistol grip? Are we sure that will suffice? The only thing that makes my AR an "assault rifle" right now is the pistol grip.
    I'm willing to bet that he's going by the definition being any grip that protrudes conspicuously below the action, and cutting 2.75" off probably brings it to a point where it's not "conspicuously" below the action anymore.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ulster County
    Posts
    51

    Default

    I just re-read the bill and it does cite: "(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF
    THE WEAPON"

    So then, if the grip were just level with the base of the trigger guard it should be OK? Opinions?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    ]PIC_0011.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by glenmar3 View Post
    Where did you come up with the 2.75" for the pistol grip? Are we sure that will suffice? The only thing that makes my AR an "assault rifle" right now is the pistol grip.
    I made the cut then measured what I cut off. I figured I could always cut off more, but did not want to destroy the grip by cutting to much. The cut was actually 2.5" in front and 2.75 in back. This left a sharp ridge in front so I cut and ground some more off the front part. The piece is now just under 1.5" tall. I could grind some more off and still have to smooth off the edges.
    Last edited by Tagfu; 01-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    If laws stopped crime the jails would be empty.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This is my feeling. Until NYS provides a clear definition of a pistol grip I wouldn't put anything on my AR lower where the pistol grip is suppose to attach.
    You need something there because the handle holds a detent spring
    If laws stopped crime the jails would be empty.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Springwater
    Posts
    7,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tagfu View Post
    You need something there because the handle holds a detent spring
    I know, I'm just stating that just because you cut a grip down does not mean that NYS won't define that as a pistol grip.

    That hole can always be tapped and a set screw inserted.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris123NT View Post
    I can see it now, all the people running around with grenade launchers LOL.

    Anyway this is the way I see it as well, featureless is definitely an option.

    Another is bullet button with 5 round "fixed" mag but that would have to be tested in the courts.
    "(A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
    MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

    I think the "ability to accept" leaves out the "Bullet Button"

    The grenade launcher they mean is just a tube that screws onto the barrel that you can slide a rifle grenade onto. Not that cool extra barrel you see in pictures. I do not think you can attach both a grenade launcher and a flash hider.
    Last edited by Tagfu; 01-18-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    If laws stopped crime the jails would be empty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •