Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYS Ammo Ban

Default NYS Ammo Ban

NYS, not to be outdone by California has proposed new ammo restrictions.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/A8108-2013

II) EVERY MANUFACTURER SHALL CODE ANY AMMUNITION FOR HANDGUNS AND ASSAULT WEAPONS SOLD OR MANUFACTURED AFTER JANUARY FIRST, TWO THOUSAND FOURTEEN.

B. THE VENDOR REGISTRY.
    EVERY VENDOR OF AMMUNITION SHALL REGISTER WITH THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE IN A MANNER PRESCRIBED BY THE NEW YORK STATE
    POLICE, AND SHALL RECORD THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN A FORMAT
    PRESCRIBED BY THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE:

(I) THE DATE OF THE TRANSACTION;
    (II) THE NAME OF THE TRANSFEREE;
    (III) THE PURCHASER'S DRIVER'S LICENSE NUMBER OR OTHER GOVERNMENT
    ISSUED IDENTIFICATION CARD NUMBER;
    (IV) THE DATE OF BIRTH OF THE PURCHASER;
    (V) THE UNIQUE IDENTIFIER OF ALL HANDGUN AMMUNITION OR BULLETS TRANS-FERRED;
    (VI) THE CALIBER OF THE BULLET; AND
    (VII) ANY OTHER INFORMATION DETERMINED NECESSARY BY THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE.

In the bill are provisions that you cannot own any cartridges or bullets that are not marked with an ID#. Possession of unmarked ammo after 1/15/15 is a misdemeanor.
    Deer hunters cannot possess any ammo older than 3 years and must surrender it to authorities if older and hording is illegal.
    Rifleman's Creed
    "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will... " Major General William H. Rupertus

You gotta be kidding.....

Everytime you think the Laws in NYS can't get any worse. The Pols come up with the next round of screw tightening. It is not enough for you to get out and vote on 6 Nov., you need to get all your family, friends and neighbors to vote with you. Drive them if you need to. Does this mean another run on ammo....
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Quote Originally Posted by Colt 700 View Post
    Everytime you think the Laws in NYS can't get any worse. The Pols come up with the next round of screw tightening. It is not enough for you to get out and vote on 6 Nov., you need to get all your family, friends and neighbors to vote with you. Drive them if you need to. Does this mean another run on ammo....
    Doubt it because they're trying to ban "hoarding" and indirectly ban reloading.

Isn't this just an offshoot of that stupid microstamping thing but the ammo will come pre-marked? Name on ammo manufacturer that will do this.

As for the hoarding, somehow like with the AWB Regitration I have a feeling that some guys will stash a pile of ammo away....
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

4. THE COST OF MAINTAINING THE DATABASE SHALL BE FUNDED BY THE AMMUNI-
    TION CODING SYSTEM DATABASE FUND ESTABLISHED PURSUANT TO SECTION NINE-
    TY-ONE-G OF THE STATE FINANCE LAW. VENDORS SHALL CHARGE AN ADDITIONAL
    $.005 PER BULLET OR ROUND OF AMMUNITION TO THE PURCHASER. SUCH MONEYS
    SHALL BE DEPOSITED INTO THE FUND.
    Of course tax tax tax

8. FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, "CODED AMMUNITION" MEANS A BULLET
    CARRYING A UNIQUE IDENTIFIER THAT HAS BEEN APPLIED BY ETCHING ONTO THE
    BASE OF THE BULLET PROJECTILE.
    So how exactly will the cops check your ammo? Will they get the power to destroy some of your ammo to check to see if they have the ID on the bottom of the bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt 700 View Post
    As for the hoarding, somehow like with the AWB Regitration I have a feeling that some guys will stash a pile of ammo away....
    I have a feeling that some of us.. er um some of you may already have a stockpile

At what point does a stockpile become hoarding?
    Jim

NRA Life Member, GOA, SAF, NYRPA, S.C.O.P.E.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin

So if stockpiling and hoarding ammo is illegal, should we bring the president, governer and head of DHS up on charges? They seem to be the ones ordering the stockpile of/doing the stockpiling the ammunition these days!
    -- Kevin

"The tragic history of civilian disarmament cries a warning against any systematic attempts to render innocent citizens ill-equipped to defend themselves from tyrant terrorists, despots or oppressive majorities,"
    - Daniel Schmutter

Quote Originally Posted by minderasr View Post
    At what point does a stockpile become hoarding?
    If the meter reader complians that he can no longer get to the gas meter because of the lead pile, it has become hoarding!
    Now I gotta find another place for it.