Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NRA Basic pistol/NY pistol license requirement

Default NRA Basic pistol

when holding my courses I had a rubber stamp made at staples that states.
    Classroom portion completed on

Live fire completed on

upon issuance of certificates I stamp , sign and date the classroom section , and write LIVE FIRE TO BE COMPLETED UPON RECIEPT OF PISTOL PERMIT OR WESTCHESTER COUNTY TRAINING EXEPTION. AND SIGN BOTH LINES
    Chris Verini
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Utah Concealed Firearms Certified Instructor
    WWW.HANDGUNINSTRUCTORS.COM

Member of Putnam County Fish & Game
    .......AVID HANDGUN LOVER, I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN OUR 2nd AMENDMENT RIGHTS.....
    Please help to support our 2nd Amendment rights by joining or donating @ www.nra.org

This is a mess in NYS, Some clubs are advertising in County Office building for there courses and allowing you to live five if you submitted an application for a permit (WRONG) and illegal. I spoke with the NRA and they will allow you to give the course but the Certificate must clearly indicate that it was a(NON-SHOOTING COURSE) and the instructor must leave his ID number off the Certificate. Use of the NRA format is allowable only. As far as the shooting with a permit holder present, Penal Law Sect 265.7(sub7a) states if two Permit holders are present on the range one may shoot the others firearms, Both must have been issued a permit and have it persent, the gun need only be on one of the shooters permits, I checked this with the State and they confirmed it. It's all about NRA liability, I know of an incident with a new owner shoting himself through the hand on a range the first time shooting. CASE IN POINT!

Default Licensing in NY minus the shooting

I read in a reply that was copied from the Penal Law Book that you can shoot with a licensed instructor if you have already applied. One must read the entire law! 265.20b states that you have applied and now the catch, It states that "you have been approved", your not approved until you receive your license in hand! It advises one to refers to PL Section 400 as a guide which in 400.3b in order to shoot upon appling you have to file for an exemption with the signing judge/Issuing Agent, a short background check and a letter from the instructor verifing your a good guy, stating where and when the firing will take place, put himself on the line, forwarded the request for exemption to the local police and they have to do a quick record check in 10 days. GOOD LUCK Read section 400.3b It spells it all out and thats Basically that!

Edit: Replying to post about shooting another licensee's handguns while they are present

That is statewide (who knows about NYC) Range rules may prohibit it but there is no legal prohibition
    Last edited by nratc53; 02-18-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Replying to earlier post

Quote Originally Posted by ridgelinedefense View Post
    I read in a reply that was copied from the Penal Law Book that you can shoot with a licensed instructor if you have already applied. One must read the entire law! 265.20b states that you have applied and now the catch, It states that "you have been approved", your not approved until you receive your license in hand! It advises one to refers to PL Section 400 as a guide which in 400.3b in order to shoot upon appling you have to file for an exemption with the signing judge/Issuing Agent, a short background check and a letter from the instructor verifing your a good guy, stating where and when the firing will take place, put himself on the line, forwarded the request for exemption to the local police and they have to do a quick record check in 10 days. GOOD LUCK Read section 400.3b It spells it all out and thats Basically that!
    This is an exemption listed in 265.20, but I do not know many Instructors that will take that chance. Suffolk will give letter but you must give them Instructor's name and Cert # and date/time/place of shooting/training session.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgelinedefense View Post
    I did read the law, see above post

Westchester is the only county in NY that is specifically allowed to require training, it is in State Law

I was told today by a person conducting an armed guard course that because he was a licensed NRA instructor that in his presense we could handle firearms. Is this true? I am in the process of being approved and so did not handle them for fear of losing my opportunity of getting one. Also, what section of the law deals with pistol permits and the handling of handguns?
    Defense is superior to opulence.
    -Adam Smith

No! You must fall under one of the exceptions listed in the Penal Law or be licensed to possess (handle) a "Firearm" (NY's word for handgun)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Meanwhile it looks like it's a good idea to take the pistol classes out of state in PA or VT where convenient.
    This is an excellent suggestion. I'd add that a brief vacation to Florida could do the job (and get you a non-resident FL permit) while the family visited with Mickey and Minney or Harry Potter.